Welcome to Year 5!
Year 5 Teacher
Mr Butler & Mrs Phillips
Year 5 Teaching Assistants
Welcome to the Year 5 page 2020/21.
This page will be regularly updated with important dates, upcoming event details and information about life in Year 5!
Important dates for your diary:
- 02.09.20: Pupils return to school
- 09.10.20: 'Hello Yellow' day
- 16.10.20: Den/Shelter building
- 23.10.20: Halloween Bingo, Good to be Green treat and break up for half-term.
- 03.11.20: Parent's Evening meetings on Microsoft Teams
- 10.12.20: Christmas dinner day.
- 15.12.20: Good to be Green treat (Christmas movie and popcorn!)
-16.12.20: Y5 Christmas Party afternoon
- 17.12.20: Christmas song performed by the children will be up on Youtube!
-18.12.20: Last day of term. School closes at 1.30pm to all pupils.
Merry Christmas everyone! Stay safe and see you in 2021
During the year, the children will have 5 topics to explore.
Our first topic is 'Pharaohs' where we will travel back 5000 years to the dusty realms of Ancient Egypt cruising along the River Nile and entering the world of mysteries, curses, mummies and kings...
To accompany this topic, our class text will be The Phoenix Code by Helen Moss.
After the October half-term break, our new topic is 'Amazon Rainforest' where the children will be transported to the humid climate of Brazil. Discovering the layers of the rainforest, the exotic animals and how deforestation is impacting our planet, Year 5 will strengthen their geographical knowledge on their journey through South America.
To accompany this topic, our class text will be The Explorer by Katherine Rundell.
Homework in Y5
It is expected that children complete their homework tasks on a regular basis which include:
English and Reading homework
- weekly spellings using the Spelling Shed app
- Reading Comprehension booklet from Comprehension Ninja (Vocabulary Ninja). Children have 2 weeks to complete this.
- Children can also access the Oxford Reading Buddy app.
- It is expected that children read at least 4x a week and have their reading record book signed by an adult at home.
- TT RockStars: to complete 15 pre-set games each week.
- Doodle Maths: to complete 3 tasks a week (45 minutes) minimum.
- A Maths activity based on that week's learning will be sent out on a Friday to be returned by the following Friday.
From time to time, children may also be set additional work linked to our Topic lessons and Science work.
In addition to this, children can always complete extra homework for rewards.
Rewards and Sanctions in Year 5
This year we will be continuing the whole school “Good to be Green” behaviour scheme which the children are now very familiar with. Raffle tickets, house points and treats from the class box will be issued for ‘green behaviours’ such as showing good manners and being ready to learn. Yellow cards act as warning cards for poor behaviour and subsequently red cards if this is persistent.
As part of our class reward scheme, we have a table points system which encourages children to work together with their table row to earn rewards. Winning rows will receive half-termly prizes for their efforts.
Good behaviour and positive attitudes towards learning never go unnoticed in Year 5 as children can win certificates such as the Star Award and Reading Awards in our celebration assembly on a Friday morning.
Oxford Reading Buddy
Times Table Rockstars:
Hit the button - a super fun, quick fire game to help learn times tables:
Nrich maths - a variety of challenging maths problems to encourage mastery level thinking:
Letterjoin - to improve handwriting