Welcome to Year 5!
Year 5 Teacher
Mr Butler & Miss Hanson
Year 5 Teaching Assistants
Welcome to the Year 5 page 2020/21.
This page will be regularly updated with important dates, upcoming event details and information about life in Year 5!
Important dates for your diary:
- 06.09.21: Pupils return to school
- 22.09.21: Rescheduled Sports Day
- 23.09.21: Y5 Meet the teacher at 9am in the school hall
During the year, the children will have 5 topics to explore.
Our first topic is 'Pharaohs' where we will travel back 5000 years to the dusty realms of Ancient Egypt cruising along the River Nile and entering the world of mysteries, curses, mummies and kings...
To accompany this topic, our class text will be The Phoenix Code by Helen Moss.
After the October half-term break, our new topic is 'Amazon Rainforest' where the children will be transported to the humid climate of Brazil. Discovering the layers of the rainforest, the exotic animals and how deforestation is impacting our planet, Year 5 will strengthen their geographical knowledge on their journey through South America.
To accompany this topic, our class text will be The Explorer by Katherine Rundell.
After February half-term, our topic is ‘Where we live in Walsall Wood’ where the children look closely at their local area and its past, present and future. This topic is both geography and history based, exploring coal mining, map reading and the legacy of Walsall Wood!
Our class text in English is always a firm favourite with the Year 5 children due to the Jame Bond like adventure and action that takes place for Alex Rider in Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz!
Homework in Y5
It is expected that children complete their homework tasks on a regular basis which include:
English and Reading homework
- weekly spellings using the Spelling Shed
- Children can also access the Oxford Reading Buddy app.
- It is expected that children read at least 4x a week and have their reading record book signed by an adult at home.
- A SPaG/Writing or Reading activity based on that week's learning will be sent out on a Friday to be returned by the following Wednesday in the children’s homework folders please.
- TT RockStars: to complete all Studio and Garage Games set per week. This is a total of 20 games.
- Doodle Maths: to complete 3 tasks a week (45 minutes) minimum.
- A Maths activity based on that week's learning will be sent out on a Friday to be returned by the following Wednesday in the children’s homework folders please.
From time to time, children may also be set additional work linked to our Topic lessons and Science work.
In addition to this, children can always complete extra homework for rewards.
Rewards and Sanctions in Year 5
This year we will be continuing the whole school “Good to be Green” behaviour scheme which the children are now very familiar with. Raffle tickets, house points and treats from the class box will be issued for ‘green behaviours’ such as showing good manners and being ready to learn. Yellow cards act as warning cards for poor behaviour and subsequently red cards if this is persistent.
As part of our class reward scheme, we have a table points system which encourages children to work together with their table row to earn rewards. Winning rows will receive half-termly prizes for their efforts.
Good behaviour and positive attitudes towards learning never go unnoticed in Year 5 as children can win certificates such as the Star Award and Reading Awards in our celebration assembly on a Friday morning.
Oxford Reading Buddy
Times Table Rockstars:
Hit the button - a super fun, quick fire game to help learn times tables:
Nrich maths - a variety of challenging maths problems to encourage mastery level thinking:
Letterjoin - to improve handwriting